Monday, July 28, 2008

Being alive is so weird.

I think. I believe. I hope. I'm afraid--that life is more than dinner dates and mocha lattes. I've learned. I've thrown away. I've embraced. I've run--from the idea that you need more than a great pair of shoes to get by.

You asked me if I believe in magic, and I said yes, and that's how. You just step out, start pulling your life out of the air. You make friends, you find work you reallly like doing, you find places. You find diners and Laundromats. You find beaches. You find a junk car and drive it for a month, then leave it beside the road. You find someone to fall in love with you. You make it all up as you go. Or, you know, maybe it makes you up.

We were just a couple of fallen angels, rolling the dice of our lives.

"You should love the life you're living, you should live the life you love."
--Bob Marley

It's a big, sweet life!

I am so much bigger than the life I lead.
--Post Secret

Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation, one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever? If so, then you know you can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back.

"I believe in the good. I believe we survive. I believe that believing that we will survive is what makes us survive."
--'Grey's Anatomy'

You were given this life because you're strong enough to live it.

Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy what they really don't need.

It's all a matter of perspective, the angle you live at. I'm a ninety degree circle spinning in an orbit of music, mayhem and magic and nothing beats that.

"Have a nice rest of your life."
--Nicole Richie

"If my muscles hurt, it just means I've used them. If it hurts to walk up the stairs, it's just cause I've done it a hundred times to lay down next to a man who loved me. My face may have wrinkles, but I have laid under hundreds of skies on sunny days. I look like this, well, because I drank and I smoked and I lived and I loved and I screwed my way through a pretty damn good life. Getting old isn't bad. It's earned."
--'The Guardian'

"Most modern calendars mark the sweet simplicity of our lives by reminding us that each day that passes is the anniversary of some perfectly uninteresting event."
--Oscar Wilde

"You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act."
--Barbara Hall

"Be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look at the stars."
--Henry Van Dyke

Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, "Is life a multiple choice test or is it a true or false test?" Then a voice comes to me out of the dark, and says, "We hate to tell you this, but life is a thousand word essay."
--Charlie Brown

I'm a lucky soul to have these memories 
I will always hold them as a part of me 
Live your life, I hope you find meaning

My greatest tragedy in life has not been lack of luck, but rather the inability to recognize it or have the balls to act upon it – and my greatest triumph in life is realizing that, in so many ways, I am truly the luckiest person on the planet.

I hope you get all the moments you deserve.

I didn't particularly want to live much longer than twenty. Life seemed rather daunting. Life seemed like too long a time to have to stick around, a huge span of years through which one would require to tap dance and smile and be great and be happy and be amazing. I was tired of my life by the time I was sixteen. I was tired of being too much, too intense. too manic. I was tired of people and I was incredibly tired of myself. I wanted to do whatever amazing things I was expected to do and be done with it. Go to sleep. Go to a heaven where there was nothing but bathtubs and books.

"I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing."
--Agatha Christie

She tended to have psychic powers when it came to facing the shittiest days of her life.

I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really serious. I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously. I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen. I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.

You can't control the length of your life. Just the depth.

Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like.

I have this great imaginary world, but sometimes I just need things to happen for real.

"This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes. It's a universal truth. But the good part is, you get to decide how you're gonna mess it up."
--Marilyn Monroe

"People who shine more lavishly than everyone else seem to be penalized by discontent, as if they're being punished for craving a brighter life."
--'The Bride Stripped Bare'

"Live in the present. Launch yourself on every wave. Find eternity in each moment."
--Henry David Thoreau

How much more can you get than life, how much more can you ask for than life? That's the gift. Life is everything, and you haven't lived it properly until you believe.

"We are mysterious creatures. And at the end, so much of it turns out not to matter."
--'Evening'

"In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn; color your hair; watch a third of a hockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist; you can fold laundry for a family of five. In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world; or you can just jump off it."
--Jodi Picoult, 'Nineteen Minutes'

She didn’t like to think long thoughts, to look inside herself and worry about what shed find there. She liked to live. To move, to keep in motion. You didn’t have to think when you were dancing.

She was both wise and stupid in the way that when life got hard she didn't work through her problems; she just danced in her underwear alone in her room until they went away.

No comments: