Saturday, September 19, 2009

A girl's got to have a goal.

All quotes by author Laurell K. Hamilton

"Love sucks. Sometimes it feels good. Sometimes it’s just another way to bleed."
--'Blue Moon'

“'Tell it to someone who cares, Richard. Tell it to someone who cares.' I walked away into the trees, and he stayed where I’d left him. I felt him watch me as I moved through the trees. I could feel the weight of his gaze like a hand on my back. If I looked back, would he be waving? I didn’t look back. I loved Richard. He loved me. I was sure of those two things. The one thing I wasn’t sure of was whether that love would be enough."
--'Blue Moon'

"Why did we even bother? We had too many important areas that we disagreed on. It wouldn’t work. So we lusted after each other, even loved each other. It wasn’t enough. If we couldn’t find a way to compromise on the rest of it, we’d just end up cutting each other apart. Better to just make the break as cleanly as possible. My head agreed with the logic. Other body parts weren’t so sure."
--'Burnt Offerings'

"There comes a point when you just love someone. Not because they're good, or bad, or anything really. You just love them. It doesn't mean you'll be together forever. It doesn't mean you won't hurt each other. It just means you love them. Sometimes in spite of who they are, and sometimes because of who they are. And you know that they love you, sometimes because of who you are, and sometimes in spite of it."

"There comes a point when you either embrace who and what you are, or condemn yourself to be miserable all your days. Other people will try to make you miserable; don't help them by doing the job yourself."

"Still it might be nice, once in a while, not to have to choose between evils. Just once, couldn't I choose the lesser good?"

"People are supposed to fear the unknown, but ignorance is bliss when knowledge is so damn frightening."

"You can't save everybody. In fact, there are days when I think you can't save anyone. Each person has to save himself first, then you can move in and help."

"She should have remembered that people have given everything they own, everything they are, to be taken care of, and to have their pain gone. It's the lure of cults: the promise of a good family; it's what people think love is, but love isn't absence of pain, it's a hand to hold while you're going through it."
--'The Harlequin'

"Sometimes it's not the optimist you need, but another pessimist to walk beside you and know, absolutely know, that the sound in the dark is a monster, and it really is as bad as you think."
--'Blood Noir'

"What is love? Sometimes it's just letting yourself be who and what you are, and letting the person you're supposed to love be who and what he is too. Or maybe what and who they are."
--'Incubus Dreams'

"Questions are great, but only if you know the answers. If you ask questions and the answers surprise you, you look silly."
--'Burnt Offerings'

"If your life works, and you work in it, then it’s okay, whatever is happening is okay."
--'Incubus Dreams'

"I spend most of my waking hours confronting and destroying things that I fear. A thousand-year-old master vampire was a tall order, but a girl's got to have a goal."
--'Guilty Pleasures'

"I never met coffee that wasn't wonderful. It was just a matter of how wonderful it was."

"He rewarded me with one of those brilliant smiles. If I had been less professional, it might have melted me into my socks. There was a tinge of evil to it, a lot of sex, but under that was a little boy peeking out, an uncertain little boy. That was it. That was the attraction. Nothing is more appealing than a handsome man who is also uncertain of himself. It appeals not only to the woman in us all, but the mother. A dangerous combination."
--'Guilty Pleasures'

"Men don't settle down because of the right woman. They settle down because they are finally ready for it. Whatever woman they're dating when they get ready is the one they settle down with, not necessarily the best one or the prettiest, just the one who happened to be on hand when the time got to be right. Unromantic, but still true."

No comments: