Sunday, July 27, 2008

I'm terribly, terribly, terribly alone.

Once upon a time, and girl asked a guy "Will you marry me?" The guy said "No" and the girl lived happily ever after and went shopping, drank martinis with friends, always had a clean house, never had to cook, had a closet full of shoes and handbags, stayed skinny, and was never farted on. The End.

Sure, I'm alone. But at least I'm not pretending to love someone.

Sometimes when I'm driving home from work I switch the ring I wear on my right ring finger to my left ring finger and imagine what it would be like to have someone waiting for me at home.
--Post Secret

I think I'm beautiful and am willing to wait for someone who agrees.
--Post Secret

And maybe it hurts being this numb. But then again you don't feel anything. Nothing at all. Except at night sometimes, when I begin to realize that I'm alone. I'm completely alone.

Sometimes I go on through life thinking that love's not something that is meant for me.

I will not be the girl who requires a man to get by.

"I used to feel so alone in the city. All those gazillions of people and then me, on the outside. Because how do you meet a new person? I was very stumped by this for many years. And then I realized, you just say, 'hi.' They may ignore you. Or you may marry them. And that possibility is worth that one word."
--Augusten Burroughs

I never want to be anchored to someone. Maybe that makes me driftwood, but maybe it makes me my own person.

The years of waiting for a boy to literally sweep me off my feet eventually took their toll.

It's hard to breathe when you're standing on your own.

You may feel alone when you're falling asleep
And everytime tears roll down your cheeks
But I know your heart belongs to someone you've yet to meet
Someday you will be loved

We’re here on earth to find that special someone. But I’m not looking, and I don’t have a deadline.

If you don't fall in love, you can't get hurt, but it sure is lonely all by yourself.

"I am alone. Alone here and alone in the world. Alone in my heart and alone in my head. Alone everywhere, all the time, for as long as I can remember. Alone with my family, alone with my friends, alone in a room full of people. Alone when I wake, alone through each awful day, alone when I finally meet the blackness. I am alone in my horror. Alone in my horror. I don't want to be alone. I have never wanted to be alone. I fucking hate it. I hate that I don't have no one to talk to, I hate that I have no one to call, I hate that I have no one to hold my hand, hug me, tell me everything is going to be alright. I hate that I have no one to share my hopes amd my dreams with, I hate that I no longer have any hopes or dreams, I hate that I have no one to tell me to hold on, that I can find them again. I hate that when I scream, and I scream bloody murder, that I am screaming into emptiness. I hate that there is no one to me help how to stop screaming. I hate that what I have to in my lonliness lives in a pipe or a bottle. I hate that what I have turned to in my loneliness is killing me, or has already killed me, or will kill me soon. I hate that I will die alone. I will die alone in my horror. More than anything, all I have ever wanted is to be close to someone. More than anything, all I have ever wanted is to feel as if I wasn't alone."
--James Frey, 'A Million Little Pieces'

Sometimes all I really want to feel is love. Sometimes I'm angry that I feel so angry. Sometimes my feelings get in the way of what I really feel I needed to say.

That was the thing about being alone, in theory or in principle. Whatever happened--good, bad, or anywhere in between--it was always, if nothing else, all your own.

Needing was so easy: it came naturally, like breathing. Being needed by someone else, though, that was the hard part.

She's not a stop along the way, she's a destination.

Any person who lives by themselves for more than three years becomes strange and selfish and has to be hauled back into the world.

There were the endless birthday nights and New Year's Eves of just you in your bed and no one else.

All your life people had been leaving: You never grew up with the expectation that someone would look after you, and stay.

I have been a selfish being all my life, in practice, though not in principle.

The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love.

She’d managed, with little effort, to close people out for months. She wasn’t quite sure if the ease of her solitude had been because she’d been unable to hear people trying to break down the walls, or if there’d simply been no one who’d care enough to try.

She was tired of hugging pillows, counting on blankets for warmth, and reliving romantic moments only in her dreams. She was tired of hoping that every day would hurry so she could get on to the next. Hoping that it would be a better day, an easier day. But it never was. Worked, paid the bills, and went to bed but never slept. Each morning the weight on her shoulders got heavier and heavier and each morning she wished for night to fall quickly so she could return to her bed to hug her pillows and wrap herself in the warmth of her blankets.

It was an odd feeling, having someone care about you in that way after so many years of solitude. I decided I liked it.

Who doesn't look for someone to hold, who knows how to love you without being told
Somebody tell me why I'm on my own, if there's a soulmate for everyone

You figured out what's going on in that predictable head of hers in under five minutes, but something tells you her heart would take about five years.

She's the kind of girl you forget as soon as you meet. She is the crust on the bread -- every face you have ever forgotten. She is the verse to that song on the radio, the forgettable.

You should have a guy that makes you feel happier, not upset. Don't think that's too much to ask for.

"It feels like somebody took my heart and dropped it into a bucket of boiling tears. And at the same time, somebody else is hitting my soul in the crotch, with a frozen sledge hammer. And then a third guy walks in and starts punching me in the grief bone, and I'm crying, and nobody can hear me, because I'm terribly, terribly, terribly alone."
--Michael, 'The Office'

"I've thought for a long time that we were going to end up together, so I didn't really care so much about the when of it. Now, though, the long road is starting to seem like the infinite road."
--Jill A. Davis

Her voice thickens, and the coughing starts again. "Story of my life," she says through the cough. "I've never been very lucky."

My mom used to tell me that whatever you do, marry someone who loves you more than you love him.

Did you ever walk through a room that's packed with people, and feel so lonely you can hardly take the next step?

How can someone fall in love with a stranger? I can understand loving your parents and family. I love my country. I love a good beer on Saturday night, and I absolutely love warm apple pie with my Sunday dinner. But I can't love a complete stranger.

Being single means doing what you want whenever you want.

2 comments:

Lidia Byhower said...

love these quotes! thanks for sharing!! :]

Paige said...

Sure, glad you like them!