Wednesday, September 10, 2008

It's always nice when someone's in love with you.

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth 'You owe me.' Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky."
--Hafiz

"I used to be a hopeless romantic. I am still a hopeless romantic. I used to believe that love was the highest value. I still believe that love is the highest value. I don’t expect to be happy. I don’t imagine that I will find love, whatever that means, or that if I do find it, it will make me happy. I don’t think of love as the answer or the solution. I think of love as a force of nature—as strong as the sun, as necessary, as impersonal, as gigantic, as impossible, as scorching as it is warming, as drought-making as it is life-giving. And when it burns out the world dies."
--Jeanette Winterson, 'Light Housekeeping'

"By about 4 A.M. he had decided he was in love with me. Which, though a little strange, since I'd barely spoken, was fine with me. It's always nice when someone's in love with you. Gives you leverage."
--Marya Hornbacher, 'Wasted'

You are what you love, not what loves you.

"Sometimes I feel there's a hole inside of me. An emptiness that at times seems to burn. I have this dream of being whole. Not going to bed each night wanting. But still sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing, I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for. I just want someone to love me and I want to be seen."
--'Practical Magic'

"Three words, eight letters. Say it, and I'm yours."
--Blair Waldorf, 'Gossip Girl'

No comments: