Thursday, November 20, 2008

Searching for the silence.

"I mean at least with an argument, you know what's happening. Or have some idea. Silence is... it could be anything. It's just... so freaking loud."
--Sarah Dessen, 'Just Listen'

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth.

Remember when we used to fight over whose music we’d listen to in the car? I was too this and you were too that. And so we compromised and sat in the silence. I haven’t heard that in a while.

Your own ideas are the best ideas. Because only you can see them clearly enough to explain them to the world. Use them more often.

Spinning in infinity. Searching for the silence. You found it near the edge of here and there. On the borders of now and forever.

The conversation between your fingers and someone else’s skin. This is the most important discussion you can ever have.

The Hi-hello-how-are-you?'s. The I'm-fine-and-you?'s. The slight nod of the head. The threads that bind you to everyone else. It's coded language for a constant reassurance. "I'm alive. You're alive too."

One of the most important things another human being can give you, is something to say.

No comments: