Saturday, December 27, 2008

You have to fake the hell out of it.

I had so many unlucky things happen in a row, that I was just ecstatic to see that my shampoo & conditioner weren't all used up. I was just happy that my contacts wanted to go in my eyes the right way, and that my bangs stayed down instead of sticking up. I was happy looking the way I did, and knowing that what had happened did happen. And that I was still okay. Amazingly, I was still okay.

“The man for me is the cherry on the pie. But I’m the pie and my pie is good all by itself. Even if I don’t have a cherry.”
--Halle Berry

You never come back, not all the way. Always there is an odd distance between you and the people you love and the people you meet, a barrier thin as the glass of a mirror, you never come all the way out of the mirror; you stand, for the rest of your life, with one foot in this world and one in another, where everything is upside down and backward and sad.

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

“I fell off my pink cloud with a thud.”
--Elizabeth Taylor

"It's not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
--William Shakespeare

"The answer is that you never, ever, rely on another person for your peace of mind. You have to - I don't know - you have to learn to live with yourself. You have to learn to turn back your own sheets and set a table for one without feeling pathetic. You have to be strong and confident and pleased with yourself and never give the slightest impression that you can't hack it without that certain someone. You have to fake the hell out of it."
--Armistead Maupin, 'More Tales of the City'

“Also, I noticed when I drink caffeine shit gets done but also I sound crazy.”
--Ryan Adams

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
--Elayne Boosler

"It was nice, damn it. It was fun. It was exciting. It was miserable. It was hard. It was terrifying. It was heartbreaking. It was alive. It was true. It was all there was."
--Kevin Brooks, 'Lucas'

"All I could see for the backseat of the car was a green-clad creature padding along the Stand in a shimmering haze of heat; a slight ragged figure with a mop of straw-blonde hair and a way of walking - I smile when I think of it - a way of walking that whispered secrets to the air."
--Kevin Brooks, 'Lucas'

“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”
--Harper Lee, 'To Kill a Mockingbird'

For some reason, a long time ago, you and I sat down and said that on this day, we would set everything aside and try to find some meaning in the chaos of the world around us.
So in spite of the people who will fight around you, the family members who'll argue, the one's who'll tell you it's all a waste of time and money, on your own or with someone else, you go out there and you find a moment. One serene, beautiful moment when the world and everything in it makes sense. It's rare. And it doesn't get handed to you on a platter. Which is why you've got an entire day to look for it.
--I Wrote This For You

Maybe you remember when we were younger, the world seemed to be a-ok. I would look outside, up to the sky and, wonder maybe on the far side of the planet, maybe there's someone just like me. Me and imaginary-you. We're a-ok. You're a-ok.

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all- he’s walking on them."
--Leonard Louis Levinson

No comments: