Thursday, January 01, 2009

I think that it will all come right.

“Once I was told, “You can’t always have great. Every now & then you’re going to have to settle for good enough.” That’s not true. When you can’t have great, it means you’re not supposed to have great. It means that you’re supposed to have something better than just great. It means you’re supposed to have something amazing. Or maybe, if you’re lucky, something extraordinary.”

“It’s really a wonder that I haven’t dropped all my ideals because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out. Yet, I keep them, because in spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can’t build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery, and death. I see the world gradually being turned into a wilderness, I hear the ever-approaching thunder, which will destroy us too, I can feel the sufferings of millions and yet, if I look up into the heavens, I think that it will all come right, that this cruelty too will end, and that peace and tranquility will return again.”
--Anne Frank

"This thing about finding someone less different... it only really worked if you were convinced that being you wasn't so bad in the first place."
--Nick Hornby, 'About A Boy'

Some people say that the ground falls away beneath you, but with me it was as if I suddenly knew it was there. It was as though I could feel the entire planet right there beneath the souls of my feet.

"Maybe nothing ever happens once and is finished. Maybe happen is never once but like ripples maybe on water after the pebble sinks."
--Faulkner

"'None of your business' I want to say, but instead my mouth opens and I serve up a plain, simple, inviting 'yes.' Like a single red checker sliding up to double-decker black ones, just waiting to be jumped."
--Emily Giffin, 'Love The One You're With'

That song you keep playing is nothing but a photograph you look at with your ears.

"Drop the last year into the silent limbo of the past. Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God that it can go."
--Brooks Atkinson

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in. The only thing I’ll ever ask of you, gotta promise not to stop when I say when.

No comments: