Thursday, January 22, 2009

I wouldn’t mind looking like a fairytale all the time.

"Want third wave feminism, you could cite Ariel Levy and the idea that women have internalized male opression. Going to spring break at Fort Lauderdale, getting drunk, and flashing your breasts isn't an act of personal empowerment. It's you, so fashioned and programmed by the construct of patriarchal society that you no longer know whats best for yourself. A damsel too dumb to even know she's in distress."
--Chuck Palahiuk, 'Snuff'

Jim: Are you alright?
Dwight: I am better than you have ever been or ever will be.
--'The Office'

I've been tip toeing on the edges of the constellations of the milky way. When the stars explode, the supernovae smell of cinnamon vanilla candles, the kind that leaves noses tingling. Yes, I tip toed across the galaxy. I met the Little Dipper and the Man on the Moon. The Little Dipper dreams of being a bear with a fearsome roar that would scare away the meteor monsters. The man on the moon wishes for a Lady on the Moon. They could love and love and love. Yes, I tip toed on the edges and laid down on skipping comets. I slept in the craters of the moon and danced on the rings of Saturn.

No matter how hard she tried, she was still several standard deviations from gorgeous.

I wouldn’t mind looking like a fairytale all the time. Just the air of a fairy tale anyways. All wispy and small footed, curious, confused, beautiful and ultimately successful in your endevors.

"He was pretty as any picture to me."
--'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'

"I don't mind the rejection. It's the smile that bugs me."
--'Happy New Year, Charlie Brown'

Phoebe: Hi, I'm Phoebe.
Tag: Phoebe. That's a really great name.
Phoebe: You like that? You should hear my phone number.

confession #134: I'd rather read a book than go to a party.

“I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can’t tell fast enough, the ears that aren’t big enough, the eyes that can’t take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.”
--Jonathan Safran Foer, 'Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close'

“Generally by the time you are real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don’t matter at all, because once you’re real, you can’t be ugly, except to the people who don’t understand.”
--'The Velveteen Rabbit'

"I know a lot of morning people and I know a lot of night people but I have yet to meet a late afternoon person."
--Douglas Coupland

“She wasn’t doing a thing that I could see, except standing there, leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”
--JD Salinger

“The fool looks at a finger that points at the sky.”
--'Le Fabuleux Destin Amelie Poulain'

"Be yourself" is about the worst advice you can give to some people.

No comments: