Friday, January 23, 2009

This must be what praying is like.

"I am a princess. All girls are. Even if they live in tiny old attics. Even if they dress in rags, even if they aren’t pretty, or smart, or young. They’re still princesses. All of us. Didn’t your father ever tell you that? Didn’t he?"
--'A Little Princess'

"It was Wednesday when we met. Saturday by the time I asked her to move in. And by the time Sunday came, I had flowers in my apartment and hummus in my refrigerator. I remember waking up that Sunday; I don’t think I ever slept. I just sat there thinking, ‘Goddamn, this must be what praying is like.’"
--'The Hottest State'

Light from cake is such a great light. We should live in cake light.

"Eventually something you love is going to be taken away. And then you will fall to the floor crying. And then, however much later, it is finally happening to you: you’re falling to the floor crying thinking, “I am falling to the floor crying,” but there’s an element of the ridiculous to it — you knew it would happen and, even worse, while you’re on the floor crying you look at the place where the wall meets the floor and you realize you didn’t paint it very well and when you’re having sex with your next lover on this very floor they will also notice that you didn’t paint it very well and they will think less of you for it. And then you think, “Is that sentence too long?” and then you have to hold the contradictions of sobbing uncontrollably and wondering about grammar in your head at the same time."
--Richard Siken

Breaking up with someone is literally the most common thing. Everyone you know broke up with everyone they ever dated until maybe the person they’re with right now, if they’re with someone right now. But when it happens to you, it feels so specific.

Every morning, when I open my eyes, I think the same four thoughts:
1) I am not a superhero.
2) I have to go to work.
3) If I didn’t have to work, I could be a superhero.
4) If I were a superhero, I wouldn’t have to work.

"You shouldn’t buy me things. Save your money for unicorn rides or whatever it is girls spend money on."
--thingsmyboyfriendsays.com

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
--Vicki Baum

Also, I enjoy texting. Have you heard of it? You type stuff into your phone that you’ll regret later and the other person gets it instantly!

"I suppose I do get sad, but not for too long. I just look in the mirror and go, ‘What a fucking good-looking fuck you are.’ And then I brighten up."
--Liam Gallagher

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That’s relativity."
--Albert Einstein

When I was a girl, my life was music that was always getting louder. Everything moved me. A dog following a stranger. That made me feel so much. A calendar that showed the wrong month. I could have cried over it. I did. Where the smoke from a chimney ended. How an overturned bottle rested at the edge of a table. I spent my life learning to feel less. Every day I felt less. Is that growing old? Or is it something worse? And what do girls do if the growing old never comes? Are you just meant to go through life with no skin on like that, feeling everything?

No comments: