Friday, February 13, 2009

You're left so alone that you can't explain.

"I have to remind myself that time only frightens me when I think of having to spend it alone. Sometimes I scare myself with how many of my thoughts revolve around making me feel better about sleeping alone in a room."
--Douglas Coupland, 'Life After God'

“The sea’s only gifts are harsh blows, and occasionally the chance to feel strong. Now I don’t know much about the sea, but I do know that that’s the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once. To find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions. Facing the blind death stone alone, with nothing to help you but your hands and your own head.”
--Christopher McCandless

"Sometimes it seems the harder you try to hold on to something or someone the more it wants to get away. You feel like some kind of criminal for having felt, for having wanted. For having wanted to be wanted. It confuses you, because you think that your feelings were wrong, and it makes you feel so small because it's so hard to keep it inside when you let it out and it doesn't come back. You're left so alone that you can't explain."
--Henry Rollins

"Morning. Strawberry sky dusted with white winter powder sugar sun. And nobody to munch on it with."
--Francesca Lia Block

"I'm single because I was born that way."
--Mae West

"He tells me I look as if I could use a hug and I laugh at him and he ignores me and steps forward and puts his arms around me and hugs me. I warm at the simple pleasure of human contact and for the first time in a long time I actually feel good."
--James Frey, 'A Million Little Pieces'

"Inside the snow globe on my father's desk, there was a penguin wearing a red-and-white-striped scarf. The penguin was alone in there, I thought, and I worried for him. When I told my father this, he said, 'Don't worry, Susie; he has a nice life. He's trapped in a perfect world.'"
--Alice Sebold

"I miss him in so many ways, but right now I miss him in the way you always miss someone when you're single among a room full of couples."
--Emily Giffin, 'Baby Proof'

No comments: