Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Something is always falling apart in me

All quotes from My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

But ever since then, we’ve been too busy looking over our shoulders to run headlong into growing up.

In my family, we seem to have a tortured history of not saying what we ought to and not meaning what we do.

So I do what I do best. I move in the opposite direction.

That’s pretty much the way it goes – fix one leak in the dike just in time to watch another one start spouting. Something is always falling apart in me.

There are so many things I have to work hard at now, that I used to be able to carry out instinctively – draw in oxygen, keep my silence, do the right thing.

Like coloring the sky in with a crayon; there is no language for grief this big. I can’t do this, I whisper.

No comments: