Saturday, November 06, 2010

We must do extraordinary things.

All quotes by author Dave Eggers

"We are unusual and tragic and alive."

"Still though, I think if you're not self-obsessed, you're probably boring."

"But everyone disappears, no matter who loves them."

"All I ever wanted was to know what to do."

"We have advantages. We have a cushion to fall back on. This is abundance. A luxury of place and time. Something rare and wonderful. It's almost historically unprecedented. We must do extraordinary things. We have to. It would be absurd not to."

"You invite things to happen. You open the door. You inhale. And if you inhale the chaos, you give the chaos, the chaos gives back."

"All we really want is for no one to have a boring life, to be impressive, so we can be impressed."
--On the friends we choose

"In all my life I'd never been approached this way, the car pulling up, the 'Where you going?' It was something I wish had happened hundreds of times. I was a looker - someone who looked over at every car at every traffic light, hoping something would happen, and almost never finding anyone looking back - always everyone looking forwards, and every time I felt stupid. Why should people look at you? Why should they care?"

"At that moment I was sure. That I belonged in my skin. That my organs were mine and my eyes were mine and my ears, which could only hear the silence of this night and my faint breathing, were mine, and I loved them and what they could do."

"People are strange, but more than that they're good. They're good first then strange."

No comments: