Monday, November 12, 2012

I like simple things.

“Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures.”
--Henry David Thoreau

“But sometimes you have to be brave. Sometimes you have to show people what’s important in life.”
--Sophie Kinsella, 'I’ve Got Your Number'

“I am learning to see. I don’t know why it is, but everything enters me more deeply and doesn’t stop where it once used to.”
--Rainer Maria Rilke

“I’m not trying to do something different, I’m trying to do the same thing but in a different way.”
--Vivienne Westwood

“My dear, I think of you always and at night I build myself a warm nest of things I remember and float in your sweetness till morning.”
--Zelda Fitzgerald to F. Scott Fitzgerald, 1931

“Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming.”
--Myrna Loy

“Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.”
--Dalai Lama XIV

“I love you and it’s getting worse.”
--Joseph Morris

“She did not need much, wanted very little. A kind word, sincerity, fresh air, clean water, a garden, kisses, books to read, sheltering arms, a cosy bed, and to love and be loved in return.”
--Starra Neely Blade

“Every season is likeable, and wet days and fine, red wine and white, company and solitude. Even sleep, that deplorable curtailment of the joy of life, can be full of dreams; and the most common actions—a walk, a talk, solitude in one’s own orchard—can be enhanced and lit up by the association of the mind. Beauty is everywhere, and beauty is only two finger’s-breadth from goodness.”
--Virginia Woolf, 'Montaigne'

"It is a miracle if you can find true friends, and it is a miracle if you have enough food to eat, and it is a miracle if you get to spend your days and evenings doing whatever it is you like to do, and the holiday season--like all the other seasons--is a good time not only to tell stories of miracles, but to think about the miracles in your own life, and to be grateful for them."
--Lemony Snicket, 'The Lump of Coal'

“But luxury has never appealed to me, I like simple things, books, being alone, or with somebody who understands.”
--Daphne du Maurier

“Most of our childhood is stored not in photos, but in certain biscuits, lights of day, smells, textures of carpet…”
--Alain de Botton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.