Sunday, August 10, 2008

Words trash it.

Communication. It's the first thing we really learn in life. Funny thing is, once we grow up, learn our words and really start talking the harder it becomes to know what to say. Or how to ask for what we really need. 

I know it’s bizarre that I don’t gush on and on about someone who means so much to me. But that’s exactly why I won’t. When you say too much about anything important, it always ends up sounding more trivial then it is. Words trash it.

Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating.

She soon says, "You're my best friend." You can kill a man with those words. No gun. No bullets. Just words and a girl.

"Since I was shy in high school, I'd try to be around a guy I liked thinking I'd come up with something to say, but I never would. I'd just end up being quiet all the time and that was ultimately fairly embarrassing."
--Alexis Bledel

'Cause it's not like you don't know I've fallen for you, but it's in my head and that's where you can't see it. And I thought that maybe if I had to bite the tips of my fingers I could stumble over words and tell you just how far before I hit the ground. And I'm the type to think of all the wrong things to say.

Tell us about yourself in such a way that we will have a good sense of who you are; 500 words.
I wish you would've asked me that two years ago. I could've told you exactly who I was, who I'd be. Two years ago I knew it all and the thing is, I was right. Plans are like candy to the Fates. The only thing you could ever be sure of is nothing ever goes the way you imagined. I should probably be used to that by now. The thing is you can never tell when everything you counted on might fall apart – no matter how solid the rock. Rocks break. Everything changes, even when you think you’re sure, especially. To be fair, if I was one of the Fates looking down at the best laid plans of dumb little people, I'd probably see mine and want to mess with them too. 
You want to know about me in 500 words? I get scared sometimes and disappointed. I have doubts and I love getting my way. I don’t like change, but I know it's good for me and inevitable so I welcome it as best I can. There’s a poem by Johann Franck that says it better than I will. "Defy the old dragon, defy fear. The world may rage and quake but I shall remain singing in perfect peace." Yeah, things happen – things you don’t expect – or want or like. The world rages and you become someone you didn’t know you’d ever be. And there you are, in your clothes, in your life, this is my future, this is me. This is me and I want things I never thought I would. I want the possibilities a school like Princeton can afford. A place to grow, meet new people. A place to be surprised when life turns out to be nothing like I imagined. You have to be grateful for it – in perfect peace.

As it turns out, she knows exactly what to say.

No comments: