Tuesday, September 30, 2008

You make your own happiness.

The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.

"But I have learned that you make your own happiness, that part of going for what you want means losing something else. And when the stakes are high, the losses can be that much greater."
--Emily Giffin, 'Something Borrowed'

I'm a stranger wherever I go because I'm strange to myself. My mind just goes off doing it's own thing, never consulting me at all about whether it's alright to feel this way or that. I am constantly standing several feet away from myself, watching as I do or say or feel something that I don't want or don't like at all, and I still can't stop it.

An english professor wrote the words, "Woman without her man is nothing" on the blackboard and directed her students to punctuate it correctly. The men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing." However, the women wrote: "Woman! Without her, man is nothing."

People are always worried about what's happening next. They often find it difficult to stand still, to occupy the now without worrying about the future. People are not generally satisfied with what they have; they are very concerned with what they are going to have.

"It's not so much that we're afraid of change or so in love with the old ways, but it's that place in between that we fear. It's like being between trapezes. It's Linus when his blanket is in the dryer. There's nothing to hold on to."
--Marilyn Ferguson

Sometimes there's nothing to say. Sometimes silence expresses more than words. Picking up the phone, dialing a number, it can do more damage than good. But humans are afflicted with this obsessive desire to talk things to death. So we make things worse by trying to make things better.

We talked about old times and it made me smile because you didn't forget.

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" responded the cheshire cat. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
--Lewis Carroll, 'Alice In Wonderland'

Envy, after all, comes from wanting something that isn't yours. But grief comes from losing something you've already had.

I did not say my prayers that night; here, I felt, what would be, would be.

"You do anything in the world to gain reputation. As soon as you have one, you seem to want to throw it away. It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
--Oscar Wilde, 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'

"Heroes are there to be loved, but not to love you back. How can anyone respect you when you put them up on a pedestal? They'll always be looking down at you. I'm not saying that heroes are a bad idea, even if they do disappoint you in the end. Maybe that's what they're there for in the first place. Maybe that's the whole point. As your heroes fall away and you're left standing, you realize you can do whatever you want. You realize the only person you have to live up to is yourself."
--Brian Strause, 'Maybe A Miracle'

No comments: