Wednesday, October 29, 2008

She's used up all her words.

"I couldn't find the word for what I felt. It is clearly not true that without language there is no thought. I possessed a thought, a feeling, a sensation, and I was looking for its word."
-Ian McEwan, 'Enduring Love'

In an effort to get people to look into each other's eyes more, and also to appease the mutes, the government has decided to allot each person exactly one hundred and sixty-seven words, per day. When the phone rings, I put it in to my ear without saying hello. In the restaurant I point at chicken noodle soup. I am adjusting well to the new way. Late at night, I call my long distance lover, proudly say I only used fifty-nine today. I saved the rest for you. When she doesn't respond, I know she's used up all her words, so I slowly whisper I love you thirty-two and a third times. After that, we just sit on the line and listen to each other breathe.

No comments: