Monday, November 10, 2008

Girls were really women in disguise.

All quotes by author Jeffrey Eugenides

"Biology gives you a brain. Life turns it into a mind."

"We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colors went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them."
--'The Virgin Suicides'

"She held herself very straight, like Audrey Hepburn, whom all women idolize and men never think about."
--'The Virgin Suicides'

"I live my own life and nurse my own wounds. It's not the best way to live. But it's the way I am. "

"No reason to mention my peculiarities, my wandering in the maze these many years, shut away from sight. And from love, too."

No comments: