Sunday, November 23, 2008

There's no "I" in team.

"You saw her and felt some hope. How cruel would it be to be shown her by chance and then be denied her, denied her because not everybody could know her, even a little."
--Elliot Perlman, 'Seven Types of Ambiguity'

"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do, " Alice hastily replied; "at least I mean what I say, that's the same thing, you know."
"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see!"
--'Alice in Wonderland'

"The most important thing to remember is this: To be ready at any moment to give up what you are for what you might become."
--W.E.B Dubois

My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement.

I wanted the hard, disgusting, saddening, and empowering truth. The kind of truth that makes you seem like a lunatic to people. The truth that keeps you heavily dosed on some sort of narcotic so you don’t lose your sanity.

"When it turns out, I hope that it turns out the way that you dreamed."
--Okkervil River, 'Dead Faces'

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
--Abraham Lincoln

“A photo says, you were happy and I wanted to catch that. A photo says, you were so important to me that I put down everything else to come watch.”
--Jodi Picoult, 'My Sister's Keeper'

As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no “I” in team, but there is an “I” in pie. And there’s an “I” in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team… I don’t know what he’s talking about.

Look up. Or you'll miss all the good parts.

I just want to close my eyes, open them, and see you standing right in front of me.

No comments: