Thursday, November 20, 2008

We all fall sometimes.

You’ll either make the choice yourself or the universe will make it for you. So there’s really nothing to worry about.

You spill yourself in red, blue, green, white, silver, forgetting which colour is your own. ... They're all your own. You're not losing yourself. You're finding yourself in others.

Don't swim too near the surface. The sun will burn your skin. Don't swim too near the floor. The cold will cool your heart. Float in the middle and you will be fine.

You used to eat all the chips first, while they were still warm but then you were too full to enjoy the burger. Then you ate the burger first but by the time you finished, the chips were cold. Now you eat half the chips first, then the burger, then the rest of the chips. Maybe you should stop thinking about it so much and just enjoy the meal.

You are well within your rights to stand up, interrupt everyone around you and say "This is not who I am. This is not what I want. I'm sorry, but you've mistaken me for somebody else."

I pass too close to you in a lift and you say "sorry" under your breath. What are you sorry about? The potential for human contact?

There is little either you or I can create that will ever compete with the sky.

Don't leave the party because you think there's a better party. But you'll never know unless you go.

You always write down the things you need to do, rather than the things you've already done. You've got it backwards.

I saw your face online the other day, and I had no idea who you were, but you had something about your eyes that made me click. I keep track of what you’re up to (thanks for updating so often) and I care about you, even if I’m afraid to actually say anything (I’m a little shy). Your life seems so interesting, even though you’re not a celebrity or anything. It’s just nice to watch someone else’s life from a distance, even though sometimes I wish I could get on a plane, get a job at a store near you and try and accidentally meet you somehow. I know that sounds creepy, but you deserve someone special in your life, you more than anyone else I know.

Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.

If you find yourself inside yourself, scratching at the edges and clawing at the walls, breathe more. Think less. Your shadow is only a shadow. And stay away from mirrors. They will only confuse you.

Random acts of kindness are the only acts of kindness worth a damn. Surprise someone today. Surprise yourself. Constantly.

An infinite amount of worlds presents an infinite amount of possibilities. Anything is not only possible, it’s probable. So right now, somewhere in the depths of space, on a planet exactly like ours, a person exactly like you stood up and learned to fly.

Trust those around you. We all share the same basic human condition. We all want. We all need. We all love. We all hurt. So trust them. Even when you’re falling. We all fall sometimes.

You were tired and weary, your eyes heavy. I’d have given anything to be able to just pick you up and carry you home. I’d have run the whole way. But I couldn’t. The sun is up and you’re still there, finishing what you started. My arms will be ready.

Believe in a god. Believe in a song. Believe in a friend. Believe in a warm bed. Believe in tomorrow. Believe in love. Believe in everything. Believe in nothing. Believe in whatever you want. But always believe in yourself.

You had this expression on your face, like you weren't quite sure you were supposed to be on Earth.

Untie yourself. Get rid of the knots. Forgive your father. Forgive your mother. Forgive your brothers. Forgive your sisters. Forgive your children. Forgive your lover. Forgive your teachers. Forgive your heroes. Forgive a late ride. Forgive cold food. Forgive working late. Forgive being 5 cents short. Forgive those who have wronged you. Forgive those who will wrong you. The last knot is always the hardest. It’s also the most important. Forgive yourself. And then you are free.

Blooming like a late night with fast cars and back seats. You mistook nature for human nature and didn’t even care.

You dreamed me one night. Now I'm dreaming you back.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."
--Jack Kerouac, 'On The Road'

No comments: