Friday, February 13, 2009

She wants to be everything.

"I turn and I slowly walk away and I don't look back. It has always been a fault of mine, but it is the way I am. I never look back. Never."
--James Frey, 'A Million Little Pieces'

"My name is Mike. Instantly forgettable. Unlike Heather. What a breathless little name that is."
--Ellen Wittlinger, 'Lombardo's Law'

"Lost people are different. They will drive around in the same circle over and over rather than try a new path. Their fear of getting more lost paralyzes them into staying lost in the area that's just become familiar. It supersedes their ability to chart a new course. They circle and backtrack and stay comfortably lost because it's less scary than seeing something different than what's presently in front of them."
--Jill A. Davis

"A son is a son 'til he gets a wife, but a daughter is a daughter all her life."
--Emily Giffin, 'Love the One You're With'

"Yes, my consuming desire is to mingle with road crews, sailors and soldiers, barroom regulars—to be a part of a scene, anonymous, listening, recording—all this is spoiled by the fact that I am a girl, a female always supposedly in danger of assault and battery. My consuming interest in men and their lives is often misconstrued as a desire to seduce them, or as an invitation to intimacy. Yes, God, I want to talk to everybody as deeply as I can. I want to be able to sleep in an open field, to travel west, to walk freely at night."
--Sylvia Plath

"When they asked me what I wanted to be I said I didn’t know.
"Oh, sure you know," the photographer said.
"She wants," said Jay Cee wittily, "to be everything."
--Sylvia Plath, 'The Bell Jar'

"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them. Whenever I'm sad, I'm going to die, or so nervous I can't sleep, or in love with somebody I won't be seeing for a week, I slump down just so far and then I say: 'I'll go take a hot bath.'"
--Sylvia Plath

"My chest feels full of glitter and helium, the way it used to when I was little and riding my father's shoulders at twilight, when I knew that if I held up my hands and spread my fingers like a net, I could catch the coming stars."
--Jodi Picoult, 'My Sister's Keeper'

"She went on at beautiful length about how she used to fly all around the apartment when she was four and no one was home. She surely dreamt that she was able to fly. The baby stood her ground like an angel. She said she knew she was able to fly because when she came down she always had dust on her fingers from touching the light bulbs."
--J.D. Salinger

"I don't know about bores. Maybe you shouldn't feel too sorry if you see some swell girl getting married to them. They don't hurt anybody, most of them, and maybe they're secretly all terrific whistlers or something. Who the hell knows? Not me."
--J.D. Salinger, 'The Catcher In The Rye'

"She's quite skinny, like me, but nice skinny. Roller-skate skinny. I watched her once from the window when she was crossing over Fifth Avenue to go to the park, and that's what she is, roller-skate skinny. You'd like her."
--J.D. Salinger, 'The Catcher in the Rye'

"He always had to know who was going. I swear, if that guy was shipwrecked somewhere, and you rescued him in the god damn boat, he'd want to know who the guy that was rowing it before he'd even get in."
--J.D. Salinger, 'The Catcher in the Rye'

"It always smelled like it was raining outside, even if it wasn't, and you were in the only nice, dry, cosy place in the world."
--J.D. Salinger

"He was one of those guys that think they're being a pansy if they don't break around forty of your fingers when they shake hands with you. God I hate that stuff."
--J.D. Salinger, 'The Catcher in the Rye'

"I wrote the story myself. It's about a girl who lost her reputation and never missed it."
--Mae West

"Keep a diary and one day it'll keep you."
--Mae West

"I've been things and seen places."
--Mae West

"There are millions of people in the world, and the spirits will see that most of them you never have to meet. But there are one or two you are tied to, and the spirits will cross you back and forth, threading so many knots until they catch and you finally get it right."
--Jodi Picoult, 'Picture Perfect'

Oh, you are the roots that sleep beneath my feet and hold the earth in place.

He always gets so mad at things you laugh at. "Don't get so worked up" you'd say. But on the back deck you admit that you haven't felt much like laughing lately anyway. And so I say, "that could change."

Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "end-of-the-world switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH," the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

“There's no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there's no excuse for boredom, ever.”
--Viggo Mortensen

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

You can’t save the damsel if she loves her distress.

No comments: