Sunday, February 22, 2009

You had caught my leaping heart in your hand like a fish.

She is the sum of you and your dreams. You tug at yellow ribbons in her hair, but she is solid. As for you, you are watercolor; you wash off. You walk gracefully, unmarked by your voyage. Still, that unnameable lust returns.

"Your heart has never been broken. You’ve never done anything unforgivable or hurt anyone beyond reparation. Everyone you’ve ever loved you’ve treated like gold. "
--George Saunders, 'Offloading for Mrs. Schwartz'

I was out there calling you in my head. And then you appeared! What a team we are.

Someone is interested in you. Keep your eyes open.

"That’s love: Two lonely persons keep each other safe and touch each other and talk to each other."
--Rainer Maria Rilke

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
--Rainer Maria Rilke

It took me nearly a year to get here. It wasn’t so hard to cross that street after all, it all depends on who’s waiting for you on the other side.

Even when my life gets crazy, you are my first thought in the morning, my last thought at night and the only person I ever wanted to belong to.

The house was full of dancing creatures, not male and female but both, two lovers in one body. The books downstairs were reciting their poetry to each other, rubbing together, whispering through leather covers. Wine was flowing through the water pipes. You had caught my leaping heart in your hand like a fish.

"I keep thinking, 'Now those men think I'm purely decorative, and they're fools for not knowing better' -- and I love being rather unfathomable. You are the only person on earth, Lover, who has ever known and loved all of me -- Men love me 'cause I'm pretty -- and they're always afraid of mental wickedness -- and some men love me 'cause I'm clever, and they're always afraid of my prettiness -- One or two have ever loved me 'cause I'm lovable, and then, of course, I was acting. But you just do, darling -- and I do -- so very, very much."
--Zelda to F. Scott Fitzgerald, May 1919

No comments: