Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I'm alone and yet I don't feel lonely.

"But now that I am old, moving every year closer to the end of my life, I also feel closer to the beginning. And I remember everything that happened that day because it has happened many times in my life. The same innocence, trust, and restlessness; the wonder, fear, and loneliness. How I lost myself. I remember all these things. And tonight, on the fifteenth day of the eighth moon, I also remember what I asked the Moon Lady so long ago. I wished to be found."
--Amy Tan, 'The Joy Luck Club'

Now I'm running towards both finding myself and creating myself. I've never felt better. I'm alone and yet I don't feel lonely. I'm finally starting to realize, in this life, you have to save yourself.

We enter the world alone and we leave it alone and everything that happens in between we owe it to ourselves to find a little company. We need help, we need support, otherwise we are in it by ourselves. Strangers, cut off from each other, and we forget, just how connected we all are. So instead, we choose love, we choose life, and, for a moment, we feel just a little bit less alone.

No comments: