Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Just do it.

"No one but a fool would measure their satisfaction by what the world thinks of it."
--Oliver Goldsmith

“It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.”
--Frederick Douglass

"I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home... I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby."
--Nancie J. Carmody

"You can have all the faith you want in spirits, the afterlife, and heaven and hell... but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. 'Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to get through the day, but when it comes time to cross the street, I know you look both ways."
--'House'

"I get crazy in a bookstore. It makes my heart beat hard because I want to buy everything."
--Reese Witherspoon

I feel like a jigsaw puzzle missing a piece, and I'm not even sure what the picture should be.

"Yesterday you said tomorrow. Just do it."
--Nike

May your organs fail before your dreams do.

"Lately I've been struck with how I really love what you can't see in a photograph."
--Diane Arbus

“Maybe that’s what you got when you stood over your grief, facing it finally. A sense of it’s depths, its area, the distance across, and the way over around it, whichever you choose in the end.”
--Sarah Dessen, 'The Truth About Forever'

"It is possible, if you stand tippy-toe, to walk between the raindrops."
--Nikki Giovanni

"The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that, we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.”
--Maya Angelou

"Chance is the first step you take, luck is what comes afterward."
--Amy Tan, 'The Kitchen God's Wife'

"Then you must teach my daughter this same lesson. How to lose your innocence but not your hope. How to laugh forever."
--Amy Tan, 'The Joy Luck Club'

"All these years I kept my true nature hidden, running along like a small shadow so nobody could catch me."
--Amy Tan, 'The Joy Luck Club'

"But she never looked back with regret. There were so many ways for things to get better."
--Amy Tan, 'The Joy Luck Club'

"Too many good things all seem the same after a while."
--Amy Tan, 'The Joy Luck Club'

It seemed that the oven heated up all of her goodness and it came shining back in every scrumptious bite.

"I just don't like to see you waste your time on silly things," he said. "Well then," she said "Close your eyes."

“‘But if everything was always smooth and perfect,’ she continued, ‘you’d get too used to that, you know? You have to have a little bit of disorganization now and there. Otherwise, you’ll never really enjoy it when things go right.”
--Sarah Dessen, 'The Truth About Forever'

"Okay, I thought. Here you are. You Are Here. And you move forward because that's the way it works; thats the only place you can go. You keep going until it stops hurting, or until you find new things to hurt you worse, I guess. And that is the human condition, all of us lurching along in our own private miseries, because that's the way it is. Because, I guess, God didn't give us any choice. You grow up. You learn."
--Jennifer Weiner, 'Good in Bed'

"Opening yourself up, even if it means your heart and soul are crushed. That's what makes you stronger. That's what gives you the power to move on, put the past behind you. To get out there, and get your heart stomped on all over again."
--'The Bedford Diaries'

"There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them."
--André Gide

"Try a thing you haven't done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time to figure out whether you like it or not."
--Virgil Thomson

No comments: