Sunday, October 25, 2009

I'm alive, but so what.

All quotes by author Douglas Coupland

"I thought I'd finally played my cards right, and now I'm just one more of those broken, sad people out there, figuring out a year in advance where they can have Easter and Christmas dinner without feeling like a burden or duty to others, cursing the quality of modern movies because it's so hard to fill weeknights with movies when they're all crap, and waiting, just waiting, for those three drinks a night to turn into four - and then, well, then I'll be applying my make-up in the morning, combing my hair, washing my clothes, but it's not really for anyone. I'm alive, but so what."
--'Hey Nostradamus!'

"And then I felt truly old for the first time - old in the sense that I was beyond the point of ever doing something radical or bold to change the course of my life."

"Kaitlin thinks I'm claustrophobic, but that's not true - I love elevators and small cars. What I don't like is being exposed to unfiltered social contact, like at parties or meetings, when just anyone can talk to you with no other reason than that you happen to be there."
--'Life After God'

"Because in the end we forget everything, anyway. We're human; we're amnesia machines."

"You stole my loneliness."

"When you're young, you always feel that life hasn't yet begun -- that "life" is always scheduled to begin next week, next month, next year, after the holidays -- whenever. But then suddenly you're old and the scheduled life didn't arrive. You find yourself asking, 'Well then, exactly what was it I was having -- that interlude -- the scrambly madness -- all that time I had before?'"
--'Life After God'

No comments: