Thursday, November 05, 2009

You are the baby in the barn.

All quotes by author Sylvia Plath

"Kiss me and you'll know how important I am."

"What did my fingers do before they held him? What did my heart do, with its love?"

"I love my rejection slips. They show me I try."

"I want to be important. By being different. And these girls are all the same."

"You are the one. Solid the spaces lean on, envious. You are the baby in the barn."
--'Ariel'

"I guess I should have reacted the way most of the other girls were, but I couldn't get myself to react. I felt very still and very empty, the way the eye of a tornado must feel, moving dully along in the middle of the surrounding hullabaloo."

"I feel good with my husband: I like his warmth and his bigness and his being-there and his making and his jokes and stories and what he reads and how he likes fishing and walks and pigs and foxes and little animals and is honest and not vain or fame-crazy and how he shows his gladness for what I cook him and joy for when I make him something, a poem or a cake, and how he is troubled when I am unhappy and wants to do anything so I can fight out my soul-battles and grow up with courage and a philosophical ease. I love his good smell and his body that fits with mine as if they were made in the same body-shop to do just that. What is only pieces, doled out here and there to this boy and that boy, that made me like pieces of them, is all jammed together in my husband. So I don't want to look around any more: I don't need to look around for anything."
--'The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath'

"I wonder about all the roads not taken and am moved to quote Frost...but won't. It is sad to be able only to mouth other poets. I want someone to mouth me."

"Why can't I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which one fits best and is most becoming?"

"The ways to hell on earth are easy, and one can always cross out hell and scribble in heaven. So much sweeter that way."

No comments: