Sunday, November 08, 2009

You're the pilot.

The important thing about learning to wait, I feel sure, is to know what you are waiting for.

No man in the world has more courage than the man who can stop after eating one peanut.

When television is good, nothing is better. When it's bad, nothing is worse.

After a day spent staring at a computer monitor, think of a book as a kind of screen saver for your brain.

"We think too small, like the frog at the bottom of the well. He thinks the sky is only as big as the top of the well. If he surfaced, he would have an entirely different view."
--Mao Tse-tung

There are three types of bones: a)wish bones b) jaw bones c) back bones. Wish bones dream of doing things; jaw bones talk about doing things; and back bones actually accomplish things. Be a back bone, as the future belongs to those who dare.

"Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
--Max Ehrmann's Desiderata

You experience me. You relive us. You're so happy. And then so sad when you open your eyes and realize I'm not really there. That's when you miss me the most. Desperately. Tell me I didn't imagine it, Leo. Tell me that even though our bodies were in separate states, our star selves shared an enchanted place. Tell me that right around noon today (eastern time) you had the strangest sensation: a tiny chill on your shoulder... a flutter in the heart... a shadow of strawberry-banana crossing your tongue.... Tell me you whispered my name.

“It’s called thinking. Go with it.”
--Meredith, 'Grey’s Anatomy'

You set up your place in my thoughts, moved in and made my thinking crowded.

Sometimes you've got to fall just to remember how far from the bottom you are.

You're the best book I ever read.
You're the smartest thing I ever said.
You're breakfast in bed.
--Train

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."
--Winston Churchill

"The nail that sticks out farthest gets hammered the hardest."
--Patrick Jones, 'Nailed'

"To be a person is to have a story to tell."
--Isak Dinesen

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home."
--James Joyce

“Eventually we all have to accept full and total responsibility for our actions, everything we have done, and have not done”
--Hubert Shelby Jr.

The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot.

She turned her can'ts into cans, and her dreams into plans.

"You can't finish the things you weren't supposed to start."
--Laura Dave, 'London Is the Best City in America'

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't."
--Margaret Thatcher

"I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end."
--Margaret Thatcher

Figure out what it is you don't do very well, and then don't do it.

This month, I got three birthday cards, and it's not even the fifteenth. Last month, I got four. The month before, I got six cards. Most of these people I can't remember. God bless them, they'll never forget me.

Weather is here. Wish you were beautiful.

I love when the sky is grey. When the dawn paints the roofs of the buildings and the sun is still hiding. The city is ours then. Right before everyone takes over, right when everyone is still sleeping. It’s hard to notice that it’s so cold when it’s this pretty.

And I wonder if everything could ever feel this real forever. If anything could ever be this good again.
--Foo Fighters

You can never really know someone completely. That's why it's the most terrifying thing in the world, really taking someone on faith, hoping they'll take you on faith too. It's such a precarious balance. It's a wonder we do it at all. And yet...

No comments: