Sunday, November 08, 2009

She was the book thief without the words.

"He was the crazy one who had painted himself black and defeated the world. She was the book thief without the words. Trust me, though, the words were on their way, and when they arrived, Liesel would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like rain."
--Mark Zusak, 'The Book Thief'

"I want words at my funeral. But I guess that means you need life in your life."
--Mark Zusak, 'The Book Thief'

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”
--Mark Twain

I try too hard to find the words to tell you what you are to me; sometimes I would prefer a more efficient means of communication. If I could spell things out across your skin with just my fingertips, or whisper all my secrets against your lips without a sound -- if you could drink the thoughts straight from my mind, and taste them, sweet and bitter and all things in-between, going down your throat. Any of these things might end up preferable to me, fumbling around inside my head for words big enough to contain vast spaces (and always, always failing).

No comments: