Sunday, March 28, 2010

everything will be okay everything will be okay everything will be okay

"I’m a far more flawed human being than you realize. My sickness is a lot worse than you think: it has deeper roots. And that’s why I want you to go on ahead of me if you can. Don’t wait for me. Sleep with other girls if you want to. Don’t let thoughts of me hold you back. Just do what you want to do. Otherwise, I might end up taking you with me, and that is the one thing I don’t want to do. I don’t want to interfere with your life. I don’t want to interfere with anybody’s life. Like I said before, I want you to come to see me every once in a while, and always remember me. That’s all I want."
--Haruki Murakami, 'Norwegian Wood'

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.”
--Vladimir Nabokov, 'Lolita'

“I thought, there is nowhere else in the universe I would rather be at this moment. I could count the places I would not rather be. I’ve always wanted to see New Zealand, but I’d rather be here. The majestic ruins of Machu Picchu? I’d rather be here. A hillside in Cuenca, Spain, sipping coffee and watching leaves fall? Not even close. There is nowhere else I could imagine wanting to be besides here in this car, with this girl, on this road, listening to this song. If she breaks my heart, no matter what hell she puts me through, I can say it was worth it, just because of right now. Out the window is a blur and all I can really hear is the girl’s hair flapping in the wind, and maybe if we drive fast enough the universe will lose track of us and forget to stick us somewhere else.”
--Rob Sheffield, 'Love is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time'

don’t forget to fly darling, close your eyes take a leap take a chance everything is alright i have me and everyone who loves me so much and everything will be okay everything will be okay everything will be okay. no one can take the me in me away.

YOU MAKE GOOD CHOICES. LIVE LIFE AND TRUST YOURSELF.

I would like to be the air that inhabits you for a moment only. I would like to be that unnoticed & that necessary.
--Margaret Atwood, 'Variations on the Word "Sleep"'

“I love mankind, it’s people I can’t stand.”
--Charles M. Schulz

"If it is not beautiful for someone, it does not exist."
--William Gaddis

"I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you."
--Jack Kerouac

"But in the end it wasn’t up to me. The big things never are. Birth, I mean, and death. And love."
--Jeffrey Eugenides

"But maybe the Charm Bracelets understood more about life than I did. From an early age they knew what little value the world placed in books, and so didn’t waste their time with them. Whereas I, even now, persist in believing that these black marks on white paper bear the greatest significance, that if I keep writing, I might be able to catch the rainbow of consciousness in a jar."
--Jeffrey Eugenides

"Still not beautiful enough to make time stop."
--Robin Ekiss

"Meeting your heroes is always going to be tragic. You sit down with your hero and something has to change. That certainly happens to me. When I meet people who, I shall say, I worshipped almost - although I come away and I don’t dislike them - they’re never quite the same. You can never listen to the music in the same way again. And that’s why, as the great Julie Burchill says, maybe it’s best not to have tea with the one you love. You just turn a small corner when you meet them. And a massive chapter of your life is over and it can never be the same again. And maybe it’s just as well. And maybe you can grow up a little and stride into the future."
--Morrissey

“i never had to be the pretty girl. i’m never the girl at the dinner party wearing the tight dress and the high heels. it’s stressful to be someone’s version of beautiful. i feel much more comfortable being silly. as a girl you grow up and you want to be so attractive, and, truthfully, if you take that out of the equation and you just do what you’re interested in, you’re usually more attractive, anyway.”
--kerri russell

"They take pictures of mountain climbers at the top of the mountain. They’re smiling, ecstatic, triumphant. They don't take pictures along the way, because who wants to remember the rest of it. We push ourselves because we have to, not because we like it. The relentless climb, the pain and anguish of taking it to the next level, nobody takes pictures of that, nobody wants to remember. We just want to remember the view from the top. The breathtaking moment at the edge of the world. That’s what keeps us climbing. And it’s worth the pain. That’s the crazy part. It’s worth anything.”
--'Grey's Anatomy'

i’m not going to be one of those people who sit around talking about what they’re going to do. i’m just going to do it. imagining the future is kind of nostalgia. you spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you’ll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. you just use the future to escape the present.

No comments: