Sunday, August 29, 2010

Where do we go from here?

"A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken."
--James Dent

We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

“Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives…and to the “good life”, whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.”
--Hunter S. Thompson

“With her white hair and her white dress she was so white that she looked silver.”
--Sylvia Plath

"The other day I was down by the Hudson River, and I see two nuns in full habit rollerblading down the street holding hands. And I'm like, 'Oh, my God, I get it. The world is surreal and beautiful. And everything is fine.'"
--Regina Spektor

“It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust. You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements – the carbon, and nitrogen, all the things that matter for evolution and for life – weren’t created at the beginning of time. They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars. So forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.”
--Lawerence Krauss

"Before I was shot, I always thought that I was more half-there than all-there--I always suspected that I was watching TV instead of living life. . . . Right when I was being shot and ever since, I knew that I was watching television. The channels switch, but it's all television."
--Andy Warhol, 1975

"A city is a place where there is no need to wait for next week to get the answer to a question, to taste the food of any country, to find new voices to listen to and familiar ones to listen to again."
--Margare Mead

“I don’t think that a lot of women today are feminine, feminine, feminine. I think most women have both sides to them; they are forced to. Because we’re working, and we are not only mothers and girlfriends and wives, we identify with all of that; I think men do too. It is a false myth that women are this and men are that; I think there is a balance in everyone.”
--Stella McCartney

"I know it sounds ridiculous, but I like disappearing."
--Keira Knightley

"How private you are
In the minds of everyone
I salute you
Brave spirit
Who has swallowed so much
And tasted so little."
--Leonard Cohen, 'During The Day: An Excerpt'

“‎It appeared that nobody ever said a thing they meant, or talked of a feeling they felt, but that was what music was for.”
--Virginia Woolf

“And that was what now she often felt the need of — to think; well not even to think. To be silent; to be alone. All the being and the doing, expansive, glittering, vocal, evaporated; and one shrunk, with a sense of solemnity, to being oneself, a wedge-shaped core of darkness, something invisible to others.”
--Virginia Woolf, 'To The Lighthouse'

"I was never interested in the obvious, or in the details one takes for granted, and everybody seemed to be addicted to the obvious, being astonished by it, and forever harping about the details which I had long ago weighted, measured, and discarded as irrelevant and useless. If you can measure it, don’t. If you can weigh it, it isn’t worth the bother. It isn’t what you’re after. It isn’t going to get it. My wisdom was visual and as swift as vision. I looked, I saw, I understood, I felt, “That’s that, where do we go from here?”"
--William Saroyan, 'Here Comes There Goes You Know Who'

No comments: