Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Time is tricky.

Although I may not have had a clue where I was headed, I did know a thing or two about what I was willing to do.

Even as we are, we’re still becoming.

Nothing connects to the moment like music. I count on the music to bring me back - or, more precisely, to bring her forward.

We would sit and wonder about the future, but I'm thinking that today sounds fine to me.

Pile up too many tomorrows and you'll find that you've collected nothing but a bunch of empty yesterdays.

Are you doing what you're doing today because it's what you want to do or because it's what you were doing yesterday?

Maybe we all could use a little grace to know when to run and when to stay in one place.

I used to believe in a lot more. Now, I just see straight ahead. That's not to say I don't have good times, but as for my days, I spend them waiting.

Airplanes flying above me. Everyone on board is in such a hurry to get somewhere and way down here I'm trying my best to be impossibly slow.

"If you start wishing things were different from what they are, the next step is depression, then inactivity, and finally vegetation. No matter what the state of the world, you have got to move. Move."
--Dean Koontz

We have been close forever, but I don’t really have any memories of us together when we were children. I think that’s how everyone is though, they don’t remember things, they just know them.

"Cheers to a new year and another chance to get it right."
--Oprah Winfrey

Time is tricky. You have whole months, even years, when nothing changes a speck. When you don't go anywhere or do anything or think one new thought. And then you can get hit with a day or an hour, or half a second, when so much happens, it's almost like you are born all over again into some brand-new person you for damn sure never expected to meet.

She was illusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a corkboard like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew.

It's in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.

But wasn't that always the way. It's never something huge that changes everything, but instead the tiniest of details, irrevocably tweaking the balance of the universe while you're busy focusing on the big picture.

The further you go, the more you have to be proud of. At the same time, in order to come a long way, you have to be behind to begin with. In the end, though, maybe it's not how you reach a place that matters. Just that you get there at all.

It was in a foreign hotel's bathtub I baptized myself and changed. And one by one I drowned all of the people I had been. And I emerged to find the parallels were fewer. I was cleansed. I looked in the mirror and someone new was there.

Strange that I should be here, where I so desperately wanted to be, and ache for what I left behind.

She'd always believed that people come in two varieties: those who look out the windshield and those who stare in the rearview mirror. She'd always been the windshield type: gotta focus on the future, not the past, because that's the only part that's still up for grabs.

Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind. The kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

It happens to everyone as they grow up: you find out who you are and what you want and then you realize that the people you've known forever don't see things the way you do. And so you keep the memories but find yourself moving on.

She wanted to feel happy for her friends, really she did, but she couldn’t shake off the feeling of being left behind. Everyone else's lives were moving on except hers.

"One day we're going to have to grow up -- have to get real jobs and be adults. Someday. Just not today."
--Kenny Chesney

It made her wonder if you could know a person only at a single moment in time, because a year from now or a day from now, he might be different.

No comments: