Thursday, August 07, 2008

I still look back with wonder.

All quotes from the TV show 'The Wonder Years'

When you're a little kid you're a bit of everything; Scientist, Philosopher, Artist. Sometimes it seems like growing up is giving these things up one at a time.

Growing up is never easy. You hold on to things that were. You wonder what's to come. But that night, I think we knew it was time to let go of what had been and to look ahead to what would be. Other days. New days. Days to come. The thing is, we didn't have to hate each other for getting older. We just had to forgive ourselves...for growing up.

That night we talked…about life, about our times together. Maybe we weren't the same two kids we had once been, but some things never change. Some things last. And even though I didn't know what was going to happen to us, or where we were going, I just knew I couldn't let her out of my life.

All of our young lives we search for someone to love. Someone that makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope. All the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, there's someone perfect who might be searching for us.

The friends who grew up with you deserve a special respect. The ones who stuck by you shoulder to shoulder, in a time where nothing was certain, all life lay ahead, and every road led home.

Over the course of the average lifetime you meet a lot of people. Some of them stick with you through thick and thin. Some weave their way through your life and disappear forever. But once in a while someone comes along who earns a permanent place in your heart.

Yep, there were golden moments – in a golden summer. When everyday was perfect and you knew it could go on forever.

I suddenly saw it all so clearly. I’d sold both of us short by taking something most people never have, and throwing it away for something less. I’d been in such a rush to impress people who really didn’t matter, I’d torn apart the only ones who did.

You start out life with a clean slate. Then you begin to make your mark. You face decisions, make choices. You keep moving forward. But sooner or later there comes a time when you look back over where you have been, and wonder who you really are.

I’m not sure how I did it. My memories begin with the crack of the bat and the sight of the ball rising. Maybe that’s not exactly what happens. But that’s the way it should have happened, and that’s the way I like to remember it. And if dreams and memories sometimes get confused, oh well. That is the way it should be, because every kid deserves to be a hero... every kid already is.

In seventh grade you are what other people say you are. When it comes down to it, you don't remember the people you tried to impress.

Life is a series of twists and turns. Things don’t always turn out the way you expected. Still, that night I knew I’d turned a corner. As for the future, well, I wasn’t worried.

Things in life can get lost without any certainty of finding them again.

You can’t go through life thinking someday people will let you down.

I remember a place... a town, a house like a lot of other houses, a yard like a lot of other yards, a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back with wonder.

No comments: