Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Mad About You

Jamie: [to Paul after an operation] Oh my God, don't ever die. 'Give me my Romeo and when he shall die take him and cut him into little stars and make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night.' Did I ever tell you I played Juliet in the sixth grade? I did. Opposite Stephen Polumbo's Romeo. Oi, what an actor he was. He started crying during my monologue - when he was supposed to be dead - because he said I was 'leaning on his arm.' Oh my God, don't ever die. There's so much more to tell you and I'm not interested in telling it to anyone else. And I'm not saying I'd be helpless, I mean I'm bright and fairly good with money. And I guess I'm cute, I guess. You would say 'What are you, kidding me? You, my little friend are a perfect example of beautiful.' And so I am. Because I am nothing more or less than what I see in your eyes when you look at me. Do you know how long I waited for you? My mother used to say I was too picky or afraid of commitment and that that's why I was still unmarried by the age of almost-thirty, but the truth is, I was... just looking for you. Do you know how close I came to being a narrow, cold, mistrustful woman? But you have given me a life that's so big... and full... and good... and fun. I don't even know what we do really besides clean up and complain and wish we were sleeping but with you somehow: fun! And I'll tell you a secret: When we got married I couldn't imagine still wanting to be with anyone all this time later. But I do. It's a miracle to me. You are a miracle. You've made me happy which is something I never ever though I'd be.

No comments: