Thursday, August 07, 2008

No risk. No return.

All quotes from 'Ask Again Later' by Jill A. Davis

I got really good at missing opportunities.

Second chances do come your way. Like trains, they arrive and depart regularly. Recognizing the ones that matter is the trick. 

I’m one of those people who other people like but never remember.

’Melancholy half of the time,’ I say. ‘Annoyed the other half. But most of the time, you know, things are remarkably the same, which is both comforting and kind of a shame.’

My grief is so old it’s a habit. It is so much a part of me that I’m afraid to give it up.

I don’t like it when someone tells me something about myself that I haven’t yet realized. If I lack the courage to tell myself something revealing, I’m not ready to hear it from someone else.

When reality hits it always hurts.

I haven’t learned anything. I reach out from a distance. I keep myself planted safely far away. No risk. No return.

When you don’t know what you’re searching for, it’s hard to know you’ve found it.

Nothing is ever what it seems to be, because you can never see the back while you’re looking at the front, or the top while you’re looking at the bottom. One side, that’s mostly what you get.

What is the perfect gift for the person who makes me believe, really believe, that it is possible to work through things? That leaving is the last resort, not the first? I want to give him something big and unnecessary to properly thank him.

The surprise is that you continue to be surprised.

No comments: