Wednesday, August 20, 2008

We are all on the brink.

All quotes from 'The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath'

"There is so much hurt in this game of searching for a mate, of testing, trying & you realize suddenly that you forgot it was a game, & turn away in tears."

"How we need that security! How we need another soul to cling to, another body to keep us warm. To rest & trust; to give your soul in confidence: I need this, I need someone to pour myself into. Maybe I do need a man. One sure thing, I haven’t met him yet."

"If I didn’t think, I’d be much happier; if I didn’t have any sex organs, I wouldn’t waver on the brink of nervous emotions & tears all the time."

"If only I can find him… the man who will be intelligent, yet physically magnetic & personable. If I can offer that combination, why shouldn’t I expect it in a man?"

"From now on when a boy starts telling me about his lost loves, I am going to run in the opposite direction screaming loudly."

"There is so much, & I am torn in different directions, pulled thin, taut against horizons too distant for me to reach."

"I know I am capable of getting good marks: I know I am capable of attracting males. All I need to do is keep my judgment, a sense of balance & philosophic sense of humor, & I’ll be fine, no matter what happens. If character is fate, I sure am adjusting mine under my lucky star."

"I have to exercise my memory in little feats just so I can stay in this damn wonderful place which I love & hate with all my heart."

"Now I am living on the edge. We all are on the brink."

No comments: